What do Adventurers do at the Winter Naturalists Rally?
Animal Tracking in the snow!
Great winter Adventure.
Next Adventure: Spring Naturalists Rally: April 25,26 &27
Planning is already in the works for the 2014 Xtreme Roan Adventures: July 25 & 26.
Get ready for some new Adventures!
Ninety-six Adventurers at the Friday night Owl Prowl – Moth Party – Bats – Nature at Night Hike. Even the late night downpour didn’t dampen the spirit of Adventure. Great time.
More pictures coming soon to XRAdventures on Flickr.
Several people have emailed and called with questions about the Xtreme Roan Adventures. That tells me that there are probably a lot more questions out there that haven’t been asked yet. Here are some of the questions that have been asked: (Click her to listen to some more Questions and Answers on Roan Mountain Radio.com #015.)
Questions from New Adventurers:
Do we have to pay for each hike?
- No. The Friday evening Adventures are free to everybody. All of the Saturday Adventures are included in the $4.00 fee. This lets you to choose your Adventure and talk with the leader to be sure that the Adventurer is right for you.
- No. The Adventure leaders will be available to answer your questions before each hike. They will be holding signs to help identify your Adventure. If you have any questions or concerns about how difficult or wet or Xtreme the Adventure will be, this is your chance to ask the leader. If it doesn’t sound like what you are looking for, then go ask about another Adventure. We want this to be an enjoyable learning and fun outdoors Adventure for everybody.
Do I (mother) have to go with them on the hikes?
- Yes. A responsible adult must accompany the kids. The leaders will be teaching and exploring and leading the group. They will not be able to watch all the kids at all times.
Do the adults have to pay too?
- Yes. Each person pays the same amount.
Xtreme Roan Adventures – Schedule
Xtreme Roan Adventures – Adventure Map
Xtreme Roan Adventures – Registration
Awesome Xtreme Roan Adventures leaders, Jennifer and Jeremy Stout, share information about the 100-Inch Hike and the Geology of Roan Mountain Adventures that are two of the 23 Adventures coming July 26 & 27, 2013 at Roan Mountain State Park.
One question was emailed to us asking “What is the 100-Inch Hike?” Jennifer Stout is the Adventure Leader for that activity. She explains that it is a way to help young Adventurers “see small things in a big way.”
Have a listen: http://www.roanmountainradio.com/
Another exciting Xtreme Roan Adventure: Geology of Roan Mountain will be lead by Jeremy Stout. Listen as he describes the Geology Hike as more than just rocks. This is going to be an Adventure of discovery. (Be sure to listen to all of Jeremy’s recommendations and his “guarantee.”
Pass this along to a friend. Adventures like these are meant to be shared!
Go here to see the awesome schedule of twenty-three Adventues to choose from: XRA Schedule.
Here is the link to the registration: XRA Registration
The XRA Registration forms are up!
And the schedule is pretty well firmed up.
SATURDAY – July 27
* Registration required *
8:00 – 9:00 a.m. registration
9:00 a.m. – 75-minute Hikes
– Bird Banding
– Salamanders and Snakes Hike
– Geology Hike
– Junior Scavenger Hunt
– Salamander 2
10:30 a.m. – 75 minute Hikes
– Junior 100-inch Hike
– Animal Tracking
– Stream Ecology
11:00 – 3:00 p.m.- Exhibits and Nature Crafts
– Birds of Prey
– Fossil Casting
– Skins & Skulls
12:00 – 1:30 p.m. – Lunch
1:00 p.m – Door prizes
1:30 p.m. – until
– Owl Pellet Dissection
– AT Hike / Baatany Goat Project
What a great day of Adventure!
This is going to be a really great year for Adventure on Roan Mountain.
Check out some pictures from last year. <click here>
Friday night, July 26, 2013, is shaping up to be a lot of fun: moths, bats, owls, stars and . . .
Remember, we have reserved two of the group camping areas right behind the amphitheatre for Adventurers.
Let us know if you or your group need a reservation.
Saturday, July 27, 2013, is a full day of Adventure starting at 9:00 a.m.
Salamanders, Stream Ecology, Orienteering, Geology, Animal Tracking, Insects, Birds of Prey, Reptiles, Butterflies, Nature Crafts, Skins & Skulls, and . . . . .
Join us on Saturday, February 16, for the 6th Annual Friends of Roan Mountain Winter Naturalists' Rally.
Start the morning by the fireplace in the Roan Mountain State Park Conference Center.
Some of our favorite research biologists will be speaking:
• Xtreme Roan Adventures leader, Nora Schubert, will discuss her research on the golden-winged warbler on the mountain.
• Famous goatherd, Jamey Donaldson, will bring us up to date on the Baatay Goat Project and his new research on the extremely rare green alder balds of Roan Mountain.
Then your choice of hikes in the afternoon. Including another XRA favorite: Marty Silver, leading an animal tracking hike along the Doe River.
A good day to get out of the cabin and on the mountain. Share the Adventure with friends.
Here is the full schedule of speakers and hikes: Winter Naturalists' Rally brochure
Registration is easy and affordable for the whole family: Winter Rally registration.
'see you on the mountain !
Ken, Nora, Larry
(423) 538 – 3419
Here are two great ideas for a Roan Mountain Christmas:
The Baa-iley the Goat book would bake a great Christmas gift for a little Adventurer. This book helps to support the Baa-tany Goat Project. The Baa-tany Goat Project is the effort to preserve and restore the Grassy Balds by using Angora goats in the summer to stop the invasive blackberries from taking over.
Go here to order yous today: http://www.mountaintrailpress.com/
or go by the Roan Mountain State Park Visitor's Center Gift Shop (423) 772-3303,
or email me, Ken@XtremeRoanAdventures.org
For more Adventure, this is the best book on all of Roan Mountain. Jennifer Bauer's Roan Mountain: History of an Appalachian Treasure is the most complete book on the Roan. She has been actively studying and writing about the Roan since she was a little girl. This is a great resource for any Adventurer.
Get your copy at the Roan Mountain State Park Visitor's Center Gift Shop (423) 772-3303
or email me, Ken@XtremeRoanAdventures.org